March 28, 2005

happiness

This is a pretty tricky topic. Means a whole world of different things to different people. However, I do like having open discussions on this.
I think there are two parts of happiness, one part fixed, and one part variable. The fixed part means that you MUST have at least most of these things in order for you to be happy. The variable part I believe is experiential, and as attitudes and behaviors change so do the experiences you want that generate happiness.
One part of life I'm enjoying right now is figuring out the things that I like to do and derive joy from, versus the things that I really despise doing. Some of the things that I enjoy doing now is talking to my roommates, talking and spending time with friends, reading stories of people with incredible achievements, kayaking, rock climbing, working out, bjj, working towards retirement, and working on personal development things.
In the past, my idea of happiness was being able to do what I want, when I want. Now I realize that it's also with WHO I want. In addition to that, it's also not doing what I don't like, and not being financially constrained.
I've mentioned this in other entries, but what I've been lacking is long-term friendships and relationships. The kind that build on each other and create a synergy. I think that's what I want from a girl more than any other quality, just not slowing me down and pushing me forward in all different directions that I never knew existed. Closer towards self-actualization.
Self-actualization is a very interesting thing. It's when you've reached your limit, when you've 'actualized' your potential. It's the finish line that when you pass, you can see the next finish line in the distance, and the race goes on and on until you're done with that direction and move on to another direction.
Amazing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home