December 30, 2006

cheap chinese food

Why is it that Chinese food is cheap?  Even at authentic, classy Chinese restaurants I expect to pay much less than other types of restaurants.  Am I the only one that notices this phenomenon?  Of course there is the el cheapo $4-5 lunch special, consisting of many Americanized fast food Chinese meals such as  Kung Pao Chicken, Sesame Chicken, Beef w/ Brocolli, all coming with a generous proportion of fried rice and soft drink.

It's certainly not because it's asian.  Both Korean and Japanese share an image of eloquence.  Every time I go to a sushi place I end up spending at least $25 / person.  At dim sum, if I spend more than $15 / person then either I'm with a bunch of marathon eaters or I feel like I've been p0wned.  

It's not the ingredients.  Many Asian dishes use the same meats and prepare the meals in similar ways.

It might have something to do with some Chinese mentality.  People from China seem to always sell themselves short.  I see that in my parents, and some of my friends that are PRC (they came from the People's Republic of China).  I understand that life in China sucked horribly.  That people would have 2 eggs per month, and that would be their total protein intake.  This is why some PRC's would gladly be fed well and work 60 hrs / wk in the States rather than starve in China.  And to make more than that is to indulge in frivolous wants.

I guess cultural and environmental events can have life long consequences.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home